Clare understands that her clients do not simply want to be presented with a series of options. Instead, Clare provides clients with pragmatic and commercial solutions to complex employment issues in order to meet their needs.
A number of people have remarked that, with Clare to support them, they have known they are in safe hands
Clare has particular expertise in the following areas:
- Defending employment tribunal claims, including advocacy at multi-day hearings
- Resolving discrimination, bullying & harassment issues
- Managing risk in TUPE transfers
- Dispute resolution for disciplinary issues, grievances and whistleblowing
- Managing collective redundancies and restructuring in fast moving commercial environments
- Dealing with maternity and family friendly matters
- Resolving trade union issues and industrial action
- Training and workshops for HR and line managers on all aspects of employment law
- Drafting and negotiating termination packages for all levels of employee and directors
- Drafting contracts of employment and implementing contractual changes
- Managing employee relations functions and promoting a positive employment culture
Clare started her career as a specialist employment lawyer in a large regional firm of solicitors in Milton Keynes before working in-house for several years with medium and large organisations. Until 2018 she was Head of Employment at GAME Digital Plc, the UK’s leading gaming retailer, accountable for GAME’s employee relations function and responsible for managing the employment tribunal caseload, which included appearing in court on the company’s behalf. Clare also worked in–house at Comet and BT.
In addition to giving employment law advice in relation to employees and workers, Clare is experienced in advising company boards on employment strategy and risk management in TUPE transfers, restructures and wide-scale changes to terms and conditions. Clare is also expert in drafting and updating employment contracts and policies, advising in relation to complex disciplinary, grievance, discrimination and whistleblowing matters and implementing performance management programmes.
Clare is qualified in the NEBOSH General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety and can advise businesses on both legal requirements and practical aspects of health and safety in the workplace.
Prior to training as a solicitor Clare enjoyed a successful ten year career in the pharmaceutical and biotechnology industry in sales, marketing and account management roles. This gave Clare a solid grounding in business and has ensured that the advice she gives is always relevant to and consistent with the commercial aims of the client.
“Clare has worked with us on a number of legal matters that have been resolved to our complete satisfaction as a result of the sensible guidance provided and we look forward to working with Clare in the future on any issues that require legal advice.” Mark Wilson, Director, CW Plant Hire.
“…very effective, highly approachable and good-spirited… Clare’s work on my behalf was a good investment… clarifying what can be a complex, worrying arena for the non-specialist. I thoroughly recommend Clare Nicolaou and Novalex Solicitors.” Confidential Client, May 2015